Monday 13 June 2011

Retro Review : Turok for Nintendo64

Turok
N64
FPS

Back in the begging of the N64's life I was about 6, I only had three games for the N64 : Zelda, Mario and TUROK!

Turok was a unique experience to me, I had never experienced a first person game before and I also had never played a game with guns in. However, there was always one thing that made me love this game, Dinosaurs. 
Dinosaurs freak me out more than anything, they just scared me, even still I think jurassic park is scarier than the ring (Although anything was scarier than the ring).
Basically the aim of the game is to find the chronosceptre, which is a special device. You play as Tal set who is the current Turok, which is a dinosaur hunter. Turok, Unlike his 2006 counterpart, is an actual bad ass. He runs around and beats the crap out of anything that gets in his way, be it raptor, man or deer. Even when he dies he respawns and shouts 'I AM TUROK' that's pretty cool.

A great thing about the game was that it allowed you to use a crap ton of weapons, such as the bow, a knife and my favourite: the Pulse rifle (The real pulse rifle).
Even still now I enjoy running through the linear, yet somehow expansive world just gunning down whatever I want with a nuke or a missiile launcher. This is a major factor to what made the game fun, it isn't like today's FPS'; there is no health regeneration or zooming. No just you, a gun and a whole load of enemies.

The game starts quite abruptly, you just spawn at a spawn place and are basically told 'go forward', on the way a main objective is to find 'keys' to unlock a bunch of levels at the end of the first part. the first part ends after walking through the linear part of it, then it opens up into a further amount of missions through portals. This game really opens up and allows the player to really explore and kill dinosaurs. I even still remember the unlock all cheat RBNSMTH which I think stands for robin smith. 

There are a lot of hidden areas in this game, right at the there is a small cave with a gun located in it, this is what I loved about turok looking back. Despite it's linearity, it can really be quite expansive whilst giving a medium feel that suits the game. Blue portals open up with small trials inside that involve traps and pitfalls, hard to get through in order to get the health bonus and extra ammo but even harder to find in the first place.

In terms of controls, it opts for the classic N64 FPS' style, I.e C buttons move, analogue stick looks around and R fires. This also reverses for left handed players. It's solid, but the controls now feel a little bit awkquard. 

I love turok, that's obvious if you read this review. However, it isn't nostalgia speaking it's just the game. This isn't all to hard to find and doesn't sell for more than a few pounds on ebay. It's a great game that anybody who loves classic games, classic FPS' and just fun games should get....NOW!

This is definitely a buy. 


I'm giving this 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment